Manual wheelchairs are available in a wide range of styles and can be customized to optimize functionality. Depending on the type of manual wheelchair, they can be self-propelled or propelled with assistance. For short-term needs, we are happy to provide a variety of rental options.
We always work with a client’s occupational therapist to determine most clinically appropriate wheelchair and seating components and to assist with funding applications, when required. There are a number of considerations that will help you and your therapist to determine the type of manual wheelchair that best suits your needs.
- Frequency of use
- Whether the wheelchair will be used indoors, outdoors or both
- Your home environment (e.g. thresholds, size of hallways/doorways/elevators, etc.)
- Whether a ramp/lift will be required to enter your home or to move between rooms and floors
- Size of your vehicle, if transportation of the wheelchair is required
- Whether a vehicle lift will be required for transport
- Whether there is a need for the wheelchair to have a tilt function
- Funding eligibility