Power wheelchairs can provide independent mobility, both indoors and out, for people who are unable to propel a manual wheelchair and who find a mobility scooter to be too cumbersome indoors.
We always work with a client’s occupational therapist to determine the most clinically appropriate wheelchair and seating components, and to assist with funding applications, when required. There are a number of considerations that will help you and your therapist to determine the type of power wheelchair that best suits your needs.
- Frequency of use
- Whether the wheelchair will be used indoors, outdoors or both
- Your home environment (e.g. thresholds, size of hallways/doorways/elevators, etc.)
- Whether a ramp/lift will be required to enter your home or to move between rooms and floors
- Size of your vehicle, if transportation of the wheelchair is required
- Whether a vehicle lift will be required for transport
- Whether there is a need for the wheelchair to have a tilt function
- Funding eligibility